Colin Smale wrote:
> Where two roads are multiplexed, it looks like one of the refs is
> the primary and is shown without brackets, and the other is shown
> within brackets, such as the A22 near Uckfield which multiplexes
> with the A26. It is shown as "Eastbourne A22 / Lewes (A26)".
> Is this done 100% consistently?

99.99% consistently, and that might actually be understating it. Anything
that is missing the brackets can be considered a signage error (I can only
think of one instance) and not worth constructing an entire data model
around.

Dave and Derick are right in that any one road in the UK can only have one
ref, other than the unsignposted European E routes of course.

More fundamentally, these are "route relations". Road numbers in the UK,
unlike the US, do not represent "routes". They are just road numbers. There
are plenty of numbers in the UK where no-one would use that route to drive
from one end to another, or even to a halfway point, following the number
all the way. In many cases, such as the A47 between Birmingham and
Leicester, the concept of a route has long been lost.

Historically there is a designated route concept in the UK in the sense that
some countries have them, but it doesn't map to road numbers, has largely
fallen from use, and is neither signposted nor verifiable:
http://www.watsonlv.net/pdf/trunk_roads.pdf

These route relations are pointless armchairing and make the map harder to
edit for newbies to no benefit. If the user doesn't respond to changeset
comments I would agree with deleting them.

Richard