On 12/02/16 10:51, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> That said, it's on my To Do list to look at doing a fuzzy name
> comparison -- probably by deleting common words / phrases (School,
> Academy, CofE, Voluntary Controlled, and, &, etc) from both strings
> and then seeing if what's left is equal. This would probably be used
> to flag up possible errors in matched pairs (either in the OSM name or
> the matching), rather than as a way to get better matching in the
> first place. The latter can always be solved by adding the ref:*
> values to OSM.

I adopted the standard of official_name=xxx where the edubase listing
differs from the signage or other local 'format'. A few schools have
been 're-branded' as they became academies, but either the local site
has yet to updated, or the school IS using a different name to that
registered. A quite common one is the CofE and how it's printed on site
or on other documents. This is a bit of a mess across the board :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL