On 12/02/16 23:01, John Aldridge wrote:
> You mean they serve the same function as not:name does for street names
> in reducing noise from automated consistency checking? OK, I can see
> that's useful.
>
>> But don't assume that the data
>> provided by the third party are more up to date than the OSM version ;)
>
> But in this case of official_name I thought you were saying the
> appropriate value was the value from edubase, so by definition it
> couldn't be out of date there.

I suspect that some of the NAMES on edubase are actually wrong as well,
certainly for some of the academy schools, although there does seem to
be a little more consistency NOW for adding a new entry and closing the
old one when a schools status changes, so the logged 'official_name' on
OSM realy is just a hook to how the match was confirmed. Now we just
need messages from edubase when a schools reference changes :) But I am
playing with historic stuff to see if I can create a history for each
school from the edubase data. Very much a back burner job, but amazing
what you can conjure up using a relational database ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL