On 15/02/16 14:15, Colin Smale wrote:
> On 2016-02-15 13:42, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>>  So Bath is also a
>> city despite being below some arbitrary population limit.
>>
> Bath has around 100k inhabitants, not exactly a hamlet... But it doesn't
> have a city council, only Charter Trustees.
Bath has not lost it's city status, unlike Rochester, so the designation
is correct.

>> If we know the
>> population then it should be recorded, or a link to some other database
>> that can provide a current and possibly historic population record?
>>
> There is a well-established key population=*
> : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:population
>
> Populations change every day of course, so they are never entirely
> accurate. But the wiki describes also population:date and
> source:population which are important to put the number in the right
> context, as is putting the tag on the right geometrical object which
> really should be a polygon (so either admin boundaries or landuse or
> place) and not a node.
There we will have to disagree ... In my book there should be a node for
every place in the UK. And it's location should be suitable to the
'centre' of the place. Personally I use the geonames.com as a cross
reference and the population figures there are an alternative. It may
actually be useful to add the geomnames reference to OSM and then use
the name transalations via that ... but for population we still need a
more reliable source?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL