+1 for a CIC. It clearly enforces that nobody is running off with the
assets whilst giving operating flexibility, e.g. the CIC could do work for
another company and be paid for it, can receive donations, bid for grants,
pay Directors expenses, put on an annual Christmas party. I'm not saying
these things _would_ be done only that they _could_. It is a company so
'allowable' is decided by the Directors (as long as it is legal) via
whatever voting structure is setup.

I suggest that an accountant is appointed and paid to do annual returns.
You don't notice until you've been going for a year and then it gets left
to Directors and might be forgotten, passed around, or done incorrectly. It
isn't complicated or expensive.

Regards,
            Jez