Dudley was quite right, if there's a section of path in the PRoW dataset
our code would fill in the gap, on the assumption it was incomplete. If
there's a clear logical way of indicating a legal right of way that can't
be used in reality then I'll gladly update the code to reflect it. It's a
difficult one, because in theory without a Public Path Order, the highway
authority could turn up tomorrow and enforce the right of way, not that it
happens often.

I understand most highway authorities have mailing lists for updates to
public rights of way, which include interested parties on parish councils,
Ordnance Survey and sometimes Harvey Maps etc. Because grough has a good
working relationship with the Lake District NPA they offered to add us to
theirs (though ironically, haven't published any PRoW opendata), but I was
considering contacting other authorities and requesting to be added to any
PRoW mailing lists they have.

If successful in getting signed up to enough of these lists, we'd happily
develop and maintain some sort of database for the information we receive,
which might help keep track of new footpaths and diversion orders. Where
footpaths have their references in OSM it should be trivial to find them.
In other cases you'd need to consult the OS map accompanying the order. I'm
not sure the authorities would consent to these being publicly accessible
online, if they're not already.

Luke