Luke Smith wrote:
> If anyone has comments or advice for us, it would be gratefully received.

This is terrific. I've been waiting to see what you do with this since you
first posted some sample images in 2011, so it's good to see it finally come
to fruition. Lovely clear cartography and a convincing collection of source
data.

The major thing you need to look at, I would suggest, is access tagging. At
present you are showing (for example) private service roads the same as
public service roads, which is obviously a bit of a problem for a map
marketed to walkers. highway=path, access=private is also shown in a
sufficiently bold style to mislead people that they can walk there.

The way that I solve this for http://cycle.travel/map is to use osm2pgsql's
Lua processing to interpret the many possible access tag values. It takes a
bit of persistence to get all the edge cases but I find it much easier than
writing all the possible combinations into the SQL or CartoCSS.

Richard