An associatedStreet has no impact at all on the renderer.
Nominated uses it to a certain degree to match houses with streets (in
case the addr:street does not match the name of a street in the
proximity).
There are some tools from the French community that uses this relation
as well. The French typically place some reference information into
the relation.

I think the street relation is used / supported even less.

regards