On 05/12/16 20:19, Dave Barter wrote:
Excuse the noob question as I’ve not been on the list long.

I’m doing a bit of work trying to create an open version of the OS Codepoint
Polygons. To do this I need as much postcode data as possible. I’ve been
looking at extracting this from OSM and as far as I can tell I’m looking for
the following tags:-

-addr:postal_code
-addr:postcode
-postal_code
-postcode

Are there any others I’m missing? And I guess I am (sadly) right in thinking
there is not a huge amount of data in there, circa 40-50k records?

Thanks
Dave

Have you looked at the OS Opendata Codepoint? They are centroids, not polygons. You can see an overlay on OSM on my map here:

http://oscompare.raggedred.net/?zoom=15&lat=53.73731&lon=-0.48844&layers=BFFTFF I have a simple overlay, that the map uses, too. More details here: http://codepoint.raggedred.net/

There are Office of National Statistics postcode files too under Open Gov licence. They have the same active postcode centroids as Codepoint but with extra detail for each postcode and expired postcodes too.

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)