I've received a tweet drawing my attention to a thread with the subject "Local
Authority rights of way information". I wasn't receiving the emails for this
list and I can't see a way of replying to an e-mail if you didn't receive it.
So I guess I'm starting a new thread which is annoying.

On Wed Dec 21 11:17:17, Chris Hill wrote:
> Row maps is definitely not based on OGL data.

If you go to:
   http://www.rowmaps.com/datasets
and then go to the pages for each of North Lincolnshire, Oldham, Portsmouth,
Salford, Wigan and the Wirral, you'll see that these datasets are released with
the OGL.

The datasets for most of the other local authorities were released under terms
equivalent to the OS OpenData Licence.  When I e-mailed the Ordnance Survey
about the local authorities that had, during the last few years, successfully
obtained an exemption from the Public Sector Mapping Agreement and released
their data under terms equivalent to the OS OpenData Licence, Richard Mortara
[Public Sector Contracts Manager, Ordnance Survey] replied: "All data exempted
by Ordnance Survey is now covered by the Open Government Licence (OGL), which
superseded its own OS OpenData licence in April 2015."

> [Row maps] includes E Yorks and Hull data that both councils have explicitly
> refused to release as OGL.

Actually the website www.rowmaps.com does not yet provide data for Hull.

As far as East Yorkshire is concerned, I received an e-mail from Judith
Rockliff [Engineer (Definitive Map), Asset Strategy, Planning and Economic
Regeneration, East Riding of Yorkshire Council] on 10th January 2013 that said
"I am pleased to be able to tell you that a request from East Riding of
Yorkshire Council for a derived data exemption in relation to its Public Rights
of Way (PRoW) datasets has now been approved. As a consequence, the terms
equivalent to OS OpenData (see
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/docs/os-opendata-licence.pdf
) may now also be applied to the dataset being released."

When I requested an update in 2014, I received a reply from Gordon Grimley
[Assistant Engineer (Definitive Map), Asset Strategy (AS 67), Planning and
Economic Regeneration, East Riding of Yorkshire Council] on 27th February 2014
saying "Attached is the most recent copy of the shapefile.  All the same
licences etc apply."

> I have asked Barry for his sources and there has been a stoney silence.

I don't normally ignore e-mails.  So maybe your e-mail didn't get to me.

> If anyone has used rowmaps as a source for OSM edits I would revert that edit.

Although I don't do the hard grind of adding to OSM, it has always been my view
that's it's irrelevant as to what licence the data has been released with.  As
others have pointed out in this thread, the data from www.rowmaps.com can best
be used to identify a PROW that needs surveying: what's in the data may be
quite different from what happens on the ground.  And this disclaimer that
www.rowmaps.com shows alongside any map is also appropriate: "An authority's
Definitive Map is the authoritative source of their rights of way. The details
of the public rights of way network contained in an authority's data are for
information only, and are an interpretation of the Definitive Map, not the
Definitive Map itself, and should not be relied on for determining the position
or alignment of any public right of way. For legal purposes, an authority's
data does not replace their Definitive Map. And changes may have been made to
the Definitive Map that are not included in their data."
--
Barry Cornelius
http://www.northeastraces.com/