has there ever been discussion about code branching in OSM? In git terms,
we are all making changes direct to master. I'm wondering whether small
changes could be automatically approved and large changes would require
peer review first.

I know that this is a huge change to the base infrastructure, so maybe a
bot that auto-challenges large/sweeping changes?

....or is this like in QI when the siren goes off because someone proposes
something that has is a commonly held fallacy? or been discussed ad nauseam

- Jez