> has there ever been discussion about code branching in OSM? In git terms, we
> are all making changes direct to master. I'm wondering whether small changes
> could be automatically approved and large changes would require peer review
> first. I know that this is a huge change to the base infrastructure

Yes there has been discussion of this, but not on talk-gb because
talk-gb isn't really the place for it ;)
It's a very difficult idea to convert osm to a "branching" data model,
because of some awkward issues such as universal identifiers for
objects and versions.
But! There has been some work on an interesting project which sort-of
enables branching-and-merging, in the HOT world:
https://hi.stamen.com/merging-offline-edits-with-the-posm-replay-tool-2f39a4410d2a

> so maybe a bot
> that auto-challenges large/sweeping changes?

I think we pretty much already have this, thanks to various monitoring
tools (recently, OSMCHA - very helpful), except that the "bot" is the
community.

> ....or is this like in QI when the siren goes off because someone proposes
> something that has is a commonly held fallacy? or been discussed ad nauseam

Best not to discourage people who are coming "new to old ideas" imho,
though talk-gb's not the ideal venue so I'd suggest using a dev
forum...

Dan