I have came across a similar issue where areas of mainly grass, but with some gorse bushes, on chalk downland had been changed to natural=heath, when I contacted the mapper about it he said something along the lines of, "well I've seen it done like that elsewhere"

David

------ Original Message ------
From: "SK53" <sk53....@gmail.com>
To: "Talk-GB@openstreetmap.org" <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: 09/01/2017 11:53:51
Subject: [Talk-GB] natural=heath

Somehow I have been oblivious to the fact that large numbers of polygons tagged natural=heath have been added over the past few months to OSM.

I only noticed these when looking at old traces on the new GPX trace overlay. Specifically I noticed them on the Snowdon range extending beyond Moel Eilio.

I have now reviewed my photographs taken in 2010 for the countryside extending N of Moel Eilio to the pass between Foel Goch and Moel Cynghorion. As it was a beautiful day the photos also provide valuable interpretive evidence not only for the rest of the Snowdon range, but for the Northern Glyders, Mynydd Mawr and the Nantlle Ridge.

Both in detail and in long view the vast bulk of this countryside is unimproved grassland, which is why it is used for sheep farming and not grouse moors. There appears to be a small patch of heather moorland beyond the forestry to the N of Moel Eiio, and possibly a patch in one of the valleys to the E.

In addition to reviewing my own photos I have also checked the same areas against the Phase 1 habitat survey carried out by the Countryside Commission of Wales roughly between 1980-1995. This also shows the vast bulk of the area as being acid grassland, albeit with some small areas of mosaic grassland and heath. Unfortunately I cannot show this analysis because I obtained the data under an distinctly non-open licence and need explicit permission from Natural Resources Wales to publish the data.

This is not to say that the use of tag natural=heath is wrong. Many of the areas which have recently been mapped as natural=heath can also be described as moorland or rough grazing depending on context (upland or coastal).

The more usual use of heath, certainly within communities of naturalists, conservationists and ecologists, is for habitats dominated by ericaceous (members of the heather family) shrubs & sub-shrubs: i.e., heather, bell heather, heaths, bilberry, crowberry etc.

The phase 1 habitat manual (phase 1 is the basic ecological survey technique developed by the Joint Nature Conservation Committee, JNCC) states:

"Heathland includes vegetation dominated by ericoids or dwarf gorse species, as well as 'heaths' dominated by lichens and bryophytes, dwarf forbs, Carex bigelowii or Juncus trifidus." (p. 41, 2010 revision)"

Personally, I would prefer that we stick to a definition similar to this one. There is not likely to an entirely straightforward correspondence with Phase 1 as some upland heather moorland may get mapped in Phase 1 onto other habitats, particularly if underlain by large quantities of peat.

The reasons for this are:
Habitats are different. Habitats as different as these should be tagged differently. Upland and coastal unimproved grasslands are very different habitats to heather moorland and very very different from rare lowland heaths. Just the range of birds one encounters will be different. On the former I expect to see Meadow Pipits, Wheatears and no Red Grouse. Lowland heaths in Southern England are habitats for quite rare birds: Nightjars, Woodlarks, Dartford Warblers. Terrain underfoot is different. There is a massive difference between walking though knee-deep heather in places like the Rhinogs or the Mull of Kintyre, the lovely turf on the ridges N of Snowdon, or tussocky coastal grassland. We should be capturing such things. Visual differences. The image of the country is different. Most apparent when heather is in bloom.Landuse differences. Most obviously sheep grazing versus grouse moor, although sheep may still be encountered on the latter. Obscuring rare natural areas. Genuine lowland heath is a rare phenomenon in Britain and requires great conservation effort. Extension of the natural=heath tag to cover other things means that identifying these special areas using OSM will not be possible. I reviewing the extent of current use of natural=heath I may already be too late in preventing an extension of its meaning to cover more or less all non-intensively farmed areas which aren't wooded. Notwithstanding this I would like to canvas views from other mappers. If the current usage of the tag is deemed to be the suitable one then we need to develop additional tags which allow the recognition of all the features I mention above.

Regards,

Jerry