Thanks Brian,

That's what I'd observed to be the norm around here too. But, is the more
verbose option to be encouraged because it explicitly notes the presence of
traffic lights for road traffic (crossing=traffic_signals just means
signals for pedestrians), or is it just unnecessary complexity (the
presence of vehicle traffic signals could implied from the presence of
pedestrian ones) ?

Regards,

Adam