I agree with SK53 that identifying missing RoW is the primary importance.

Robert: Is your code open / available anywhere such that one can help improve
it / take inspiration from / run it locally ?

I would like to use something better than flipping on/off a display of the ways
in a Hampshire KML file over an OSM view and visually trying to spot ways in
OSM that are missing!

SK53 has previously generated something along these lines - see
http://sk53-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/looking-for-footpaths-in-hickling-notts.html

I'd like to be able generate & keep these up to date myself, but never found
out (or took the time to learn) the exact process and commands to do so.

Personally I don't really have much motivation for putting in prow_ref tags
(IMHO I think they could be either be imported or have a tool to convert from
lat/lon (or OSM way Id) to a prow_ref) - since they aren't often signed on the
ground unless on  diversion notice or planning application or similar.

--
Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,