Ew. Bus route relations are a real time consuming pain to maintain. It is
possible to get both the Naptan data and the Traveline data under OGL

https://data.gov.uk/dataset/traveline-national-dataset

https://data.gov.uk/dataset/naptan

(though one requires you to register for an ftp login to download it, and you
need to remember to convert to WGS84 where appropriate).

The Traveline data conforms to a nasty standard which I can in some cases read
using a program I’ve written to display all the route variants for a given
service number. For other routes I’ve resorted to trying to parse the XML in a
text editor. If I get chance I’ll see if I can get the code I wrote into github
(possibly VB.Net, possibly C# depending how long ago I wrote it). You stick the
route files in a folder, browse to that folder to get a list on the left, click
on one of the files to get a list of route variations top left, and see more
information on a selected route variation below once selected. That shows stop
references you can get from the naptan set if you can’t already find them in
OSM.

I’d also recommend documenting the relations and when they were last revised. I
subscribed to an email from Essex County Council which should report route
changes, but I don’t think I’ve kept up to date with those. I occasionally also
hunt similar news on the Suffolk website. Checking

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tendring(Essex)/Bus_Routes

I’ve not done the May changes I read about and haven’t even got the new X76
service in the table. I’ve only included routes that pass through the Tendring
district which is where I live. If you have more active mappers nearby you
might want to combine the pages (e.g. if there were a Colchester  or Ipswich
mapper doing bus routes I’ve already done some which cross the district
boundary).

For national express routes I just include stops as I’m not sure how fixed the
routes between them are – I’ve caught for example one from London back to
Clacton and when it got nearer Clacton it only stopped at the stops where drop
offs had been booked, and didn’t divert for example to Jaywick but took a
shorter route to Great Clacton. (That example doesn’t happen to be in that wiki
page for some reason – I need to check the 484 is still running.)

As it mentions on the Tendring routes wiki page I mentioned above I had hoped
to automate the validation – write a program to point at the wiki page, the
latest naptan and traveline datasets, and then download each route master
relation and its route member relations in turn and check whether they are
still correct. This is still probably months (years?) from even being started.

Ed