On 14/09/2017 19:42, Philip Withnall wrote:
On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 18:37 +0100, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
PS: To contrast with the good news here, East Riding of Yorkshire is
being decidedly unhelpful at
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/public_rights_of_way_gis_data_
2
, although they'll need to drag their feet for some time to beat
Warwickshire.
That makes for some disappointing reading. What are the reasons
councils could have for withholding a GIS file? That’s not a rhetorical
question — I am actually interested in why they’re being dogged.

I have made some requests of East Riding of Yorkshire council, where I live. I've asked for various datasets and some friends have also asked for stuff too. Most of our requests were not related to OSM. They diligently, consistently and stubbornly refuse to release any data under an open licence.

My friend believes it stems from a piece of bad publicity about how the council failed to maintain some waterways which were implicated in the wide-spread flooding of the area around Hull in 2007. Someone released maintenance records unofficially and since then there is a blanket ban on releasing any data.

I am grateful to Robert for taking on asking ERoYC for this data.  I think he now has the experience and persistence to succeed and I wish him well.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)