The main issue that makes using UAVs of any sort difficult in Europe is
the wide variety in regulation (ranging from de facto outlawing non
Government use outside of playing to fairly reasonable), the European
Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) is undertaking an effort to produce
harmonized rules
https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-and-events/press-releases/easa-publishes-proposal-operate-small-drones-europe
that might help a bit as essentially all European states tend to adopt them.

Naturally in the end it depends on how much the states are allowed to
determine on their own (in particular exclusion zones) so I wouldn't get
hopes too high.

Simon

PS: while fixed wing UAVs would in principle be better suited, from a
pure practical and bang for the buck pov I doubt that the current
hi-endish consumer grade quadcopters can be bested for what you would
typically want to do for OSM.