(Second try, the first one went only to Neil)

Slightly off-topic, but answering Neil's questions:

I use a DSLR to take pictures, then georeference them, and then upload
them via a Jython script to OpenStreetCam. I use the Mapilary website
to upload them there as well. They have scripts to upload pictures as
well.

Recently I started using OruxMap and use their photo way points in the
way you describe for OSM tracker.

back on topic:
Mapillary is more advanced in the type of objects they can extract
from a photo. OSC can only do traffic signs. OSC's unblurring
functionality still does not work. So some signs might be unreadable
due to that

For walking I still prefer a method that takes less pictures, but
better framed pictures. I do not have the time to wade through
hundreds of "useless" pictures of paths.

I'll agree with Simon that the Mapillary-Here deal is something to think about.

regards