I wish to add my own pennies’ worth from a walker’s and mapper’s perspective on
three matters:
1. The portrayal of barriers: we know kissing gates are not rendered in OSM but
are rendered in Andy Townsend’s map.  In neither case, though, do barriers
stand out strongly enough, in my opinion.  I created coloured images of a gate,
kissing gate and stile for use with my Garmin eTrex Legend many years ago for
this reason.  I continue to use them now in Locus Map on my smartphone.  I wish
more attention would be applied; to place an appropriate image within a square,
even, so that they are more visible.
2. Permissive paths: I do not understand “permissive paths need showing; Andy's
cartography does not yet do this but again this is something I have experience
with.”  Woodhouse Farm in Ipsden, South Oxfordshire has provided a permissive
footpath and permissive bridleways.  Both are shown on Andy’s map
(https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=15&lat=53.11419&lon=-1.31171):
 the footpath is overlaid with a pink dashed line and the bridleway is shown as
others, simply.  I wonder what is the intention so far as permissive paths are
concerned?  Woodhouse Farm has done walkers and horse riders a tremendous
service by making these paths available.  The alternative PRoW route would have
to be through woodland, obscuring otherwise beautiful views, which we can enjoy
so much now.
3. Writing of beautiful views, my final item concerns scenic paths:  I have
commented elsewhere that I wish paths with scenic views could be treated like
the road atlases I remember where a green ribbon was placed alongside such
roads.  I have been unaware that “description” tags have been used in OSM in
the same way.  I wonder, though, what purpose such a tag achieves, or could
achieve?

---