Like most discussions we get a useful survey of opinion and some
elucidation of the nature of the problem, with lots of suggestions, but no
actual decision on how we are going to proceed, except maintain the status
quo.  As one of the core objectives of the UK OSM Chapter is to "promote
and facilitate the release by organisations in the United Kingdom of  data
that is suitable for use in OpenStreetMap" I'd like to suggest we focus on
how we can achieve that objective and use this dataset as  a template for a
methodology we can adopt for future datasets. I might be wrong but I think
this is the first UK- wide release of data from a commercial body rather
than a public one and we need to encourage others.

Here's a strawman to start the discussion:

Use Harry Wood's improved visualisation as a progress checker, with a
colour change for  missing filling stations to red
Get active mappers to add/amend data around their localities or journeys
Change marker colour for filling stations that are "complete" with Shell
data where it is correct to green
Watch the map turn green as we make progress
We can get going on this straight away whilst we decide on POI checker or
Map Roulette as a better tool
Review progress- see if we need a Qarterly Project
After   say 3 months, we should see how much the active mapping community
can achieve, and maybe  import the remainder with a "Review=yes/no" tag
Ask Shell to release their data on the rollout of ev charging points once
we've made some progress (ev charging points is another story but as we
move away from fossil fuels OSM can demonstrate its utility in keeping up
to date for vehile navigation)

Regards

Brian

.