From: Gregrs <gre...@fastmail.co.uk>
Sent: 21 January 2018 21:25:07
To: Rob Nickerson
Cc: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] FHRS info when pub has been taken over.

Hi Rob,

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 03:58:37PM +0000, Rob Nickerson wrote:

>I don't think it has been mentioned, but having the link to FHRS is one
>way of keeping on top of changes in places where we have fewer active
>mappers. That is, by monitoring for changes in FHRS we can identify
>closures, takeovers, new cafes etc (assuming a detectable change in the
>source data). In a way this is similar to the ref:navads tag that was
>added to Shell petrol station data -> it is now a much simpler task of
>finding out what has changed by comparing to third party data thus
>allowing mappers to hone in on relevant areas.
>
>If anyone wants to have a go at building something that would be
>amazing. Similarly we still have the idea of visualising a "crap data"
>map floating around (e.g. map of Lloyds TSB, map of Total petrol
>stations, BHS etc..).

FHRS is certainly a good way to keep on top of changes, and in fact you
can already use my FHRS/OSM comparison tool
[https://gregrs.dev.openstreetmap.org/fhrs/] to view fhrs:id tags that
don't currently match an establishment in the FHRS database, such as an
establishment that has closed down. You can look out for red blobs on
the map (which may also be matched OSM entities with mismatched/missing
postcodes) or examine the table with the heading 'Mismatched fhrs:id
tags'.

Hope it's useful.

Thanks,
Greg