On 29/01/18 11:36, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
My understanding is that addr:postcode should be used only as part of
an address. So if you want to put a postcode on a street (or part of a

As I understand it, postal_code, in a UK context is for the outbound code, only, and is most useful in certain cities, where street name have the outbound code appended, on the name sign.

On the other hand, sticking the full post code on a road is wrong, because it implies that everything on that road has that post code, which is not necessarily true, even for short roads, if there is a big user.

For bigger roads, odd and even numbers may have different codes, and you cannot normally split the road at the right place without doing a house to house survey of the codes.