>  On the other hand, sticking the full post code on a road is wrong,
because it implies that everything on that road has that post code, which
is not necessarily true, even for short roads, if there is a big user.

But on roads where that *is* true, which granted might not be many, I have
done so (and I suspect others have).

Also, in terms of address density a short urban road is equivalent to a
long rural one. My postcode maps to a road 1.5 miles long, allocated to
properties on both sides :) For every rule...

Regards,
*Paul*