On 31/01/18 09:07, Mark Goodge wrote:
On 27/01/2018 20:09, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:

Secondly, some addresses contain two street names, a main
street and a so-called "dependent street". Apart from the historic
anomalies, a single postcode should only cover one main street, but
can include more than one dependent street.

These are actually quite common, and having had a look at the error list for my local area nearly all of them are due to this - the address is on  secondary street accessed from the main street with which it shares a postcode. Here's one, for example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/304095650

(The tool will not see the
dependent streets as different if both streets are tagged, either as
addr:substreet and addr:street or as addr:street and
addr:parentstreet.)

Which is the more correct usage here? Do we

a) tag the dependent street as the addr:street, and the main street as addr:parentstreet, or should we

b) (following Royal Mail practice as found in the PAF), tag the dependent street as a addr:substreet and the main street as addr:street?

My personal preference would be the latter, it's not only consistent with official addressing practice but it's also how most people perceive these kind of addresses as well. But, on the other hand, most map editors are likely to use addr:street for the dependent street, simply because the editor UI doesn't make it obvious that addr:substreet is a possibility. So it might be simpler to fix these by adding addr:parentstreet as necessary rather than trying to get everything pedantically correct.

I've the same problem on a number of cases and certainly addr:parentstreet is just wrong ... the sub street is actually part of the house detail rather than the street, so similar to 'Flat 1 Block of Flats' ' Street' but this still leaves the 'addr:street' or 'postal_code' question for the tag on the primary street. Having SOME of these tagged 'addr:parentstreet' is simply wrong ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL