Best not to use the type key for anything other than relation types (such as
type=multipolygon).

--
Andrew

From: Mark Goodge <m...@good-stuff.co.uk>
Sent: 19 February 2018 15:33:10
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] New Post Office Data and Comparison Tool

On 19/02/2018 14:37, David Woolley wrote:
> On 19/02/18 13:29, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
>> The raw branch list data can be found at
>> http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/postoffice/data/  and it licensed under
>> the Open Government Licence v3. It includes ID numbers, branch names,
>> addresses, locations, and opening hours.
>
> What does type=Crown mean, as one of those near me is marked as this,
> but is actually a concession in a W H Smith's?

A Crown Post Office is one that is either managed directly by Post
Office Ltd, or is provided as part of a national franchise agreement
with a major retailer.

AIUI, WH Smith is, so far, the only retailer that has currently entered
into such an arrangement, but I may be wrong.

The difference between a franchised Crown Post Office and a normal sub
Post Office is that in the latter, the management of the Post Office and
the non-PO retail are the same (typically, of course, a village shop
that combines the role of Post Office and general store), whereas in a
Crown franchise, the Post Office section is managed separately to the
normal retail operation even if they share non-managerial staff.

Mark