On 29/05/2018 14:53, Tony Shield wrote:

Checked that my changes had rendered ok but found to my horror that the platforms had disappeared. Investigations showed -

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/kocio/diary -

    OpenStreetMap Carto release v4.11.0
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/kocio/diary/43902>

Posted bykocio <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/kocio>on 11 May 2018 inEnglish (Englis <https://www.openstreetmap.org/diary/en>h) <https://www.openstreetmap.org/diary/en>

  * Hiding railway=platform with location=underground, tunnels and
    covered=yes

Personally I think that's an error on their part (although it's their* style not mine etc. etc.).  The relevant issue is https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3162 and no one said "it's a silly idea" so it's difficult to criticise the person who's idea it was going forward on that basis.

Have changed Chorley to delete covered tag - expect the render to show as expected for the surface.

If it was me I wouldn't change the tagging just to match one particular renderer - someone might come along and do something useful with the tag later, but they can only do that if the data's there.  Personally I've tended to do partially-covered station platforms as "building=roof" (if I've even remembered to do that) but I might be in a minority of 1 there.

In the meantime I'm sure that there are lots of maps that show covered railway platforms - I know that https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=53.653154&lon=-2.626704 does.

Looking at Manchester Piccadilly I can see that there are many opportunities to improve the data and thus the representation, anyone fancy a mapping party there?
I'm sure that you'd get a few takers for that - might be worth trying to contact the group that organised the "Joy Diversion" the other week and see if you can invite attendees to that along.

Best Regards,

Andy

* the people who put the hard graft into designing and developing the style are naturally the people who get most influence over how it looks.