Discussed as long ago as 2011 on Sabre:
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28139#p571505.

This discussion on Sabre highlights the fact that the Great North Road and
current A1, A1(M) route may not always be identical. I know I might refer
to older dual carriageway sections of the A1 as the GNR, but not newer
motorway sections. The bypasses around Stamford, Grantham & Newark I think
I would call A1.

The A52 between Nottingham & Derby was named "Brian Clough Way" and has
name signs in several places. Parts which have no other name receive the
Brian Clough Way name otherwise it goes in alt_name. Personally I think a
relation might be better, but this is, nonetheless a precedent.

Jerry