On 29/08/18 20:25, Toby Speight wrote:
Thanks for that - it predates my joining this list.  It seems to (partially)
answer only my first question - it's to benefit those who don't like their
rendering (on paper/screen or on a navigation device).  That's why we have
rendering rules - if you don't like the rendering, change the rules.  Using
the wrong tag for the data (especially a totally undocumented tag) to get a
rendering you like is really not helpful.

The people it benefits are people using OSM to navigate in vehicles, whether with routing software or with visual maps, as displaying information that doesn't exist on the ground results in their looking for signs that don't exist.

I would argue that the people tagging for the renderer are those who add references that don't exist on the ground and are not actually nationally unique.