Toby Speight wrote:
> That's why we have
> rendering rules - if you don't like the rendering, change the rules.

What you're suggesting would imply that every worldwide site using OSM data
to display a consumer-facing map, or provide routing, needs to write a
special exception for Great Britain. With the best will in the world, that
doesn't and isn't going to happen. (I think only one such site does so, and
it's the one I run!)

Dave's edit (minutiae about highway_authority_ref vs unsigned_ref vs
official_ref aside[1]) brings this country into line with how most of the
rest of the world does it: the ref= tag is for signposted references. See
how https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ref#Examples_on_ways refers to
"on the ground", "on the signs", "the usage on the signs".

Richard

[1] Personally, I honestly don't mind whether it's unsigned_ref or admin_ref
or official_ref or highway_authority_ref or one of the many other things
that have been suggested over the years. It might be worth having the
conversation here to see if there's something that people can coalesce
around, and then no doubt a further edit would be possible.

At that point, though, I would be tempted to bow out and redirect my
energies to the intriguing question of how an entirely bogus pub appears to
have survived in an allegedly well-mapped urban area for eight years. ;)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/678796800/history

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Great-Britain-f5372682.html