On 30/08/2018 17:40, Ed Loach wrote:
I missed the start of this thread as I was away, but there are some unnamed roads in England with houses on that just have a postal address in the format

house name, hamlet name, parish name, postal town

I grew up in one that was even more minimal, it was just

house number, hamlet, post town

It was incredibly confusing to visitors, as the hamlet was nowhere near the post town. So we inserted "near [parish name]" as the second line, when giving the address. But even then it didn't stop delivery drivers doing a tour of half the county before finding us :-)

This is actually a problem for OSM, as the address tags don't allow for a house number to be attached to anything other than a street name. But, in rural areas, it can often be a hamlet name.

Mark