On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 10:56, James <jame...@protonmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to make Geocaching in my county (Shropshire) more accessible to
> those who do not have OS maps, or simply want the convenience of navigating
> from a mobile device. This relies on OpenStreetMap having comprehensive
> mapping of the county's Rights of Way - at the moment, it does not. I
> contacted Shropshire Council, who seemed quite receptive to the idea. The
> officer confirmed that Rights of Way data was in the public domain for any
> use.

As others have already said the "public domain for any use" part
indicates a mis-understanding of IP rights that will apply to the
data. If you have a contact at the council who is receptive, the best
think you could do would be to try to persuade to make their Rights of
Way GIS data available to download online, with a clear statement that
it can be re-used under the Open Government Licence (OGL) v3. They
could use their own Open Data page at
https://shropshire.gov.uk/open-data/datasets/ or put it on
https://data.gov.uk/search?q=shropshire or even both. Ideally, they'd
also provide regular updates -- but maybe take thinks one step at a
time.

Then the data would be available for anyone to use. Barry would be
able to download it to update http://www.rowmaps.com/datasets/SH/ .
I'd also be able to include it in my OSM comparison tool at
https://osm.mathmos.net/prow/progress/ .

(Shropshire's PRoW GIS data can be viewed online at
https://shropshire.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=00a0e03e79ee453ab6b787961ab192ec
. Ordnance Survey almost certainly own some of the IP rights in the
GIS data, as it will have been digitised over one of their base maps.
However, under the "Presumption to Publish" scheme
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/business-and-government/help-and-support/public-sector/guidance/presumption-to-publish-criteria.html
Local Authorities are able to release their derived Rights of Way data
under the OGL.)

Best wishes,

Robert.

--