But that only applies to that particular street. What do you do when somewhere has some streets that are fully lit and some that aren't? Are you planning to go round every street in a settlement, check the street lights, total them all up and then use that to decide whether it's a town or a village? Especially when you can just look it up!

Hi Mark,

If you can just look it up, you don't need to do anything else.

I thought we were discussing situations where it's not clear? In that case you have a look around. If most of the side roads and residential streets have properly spaced street lamps, you are almost certainly in a town, or a suburb or district of a town, even if the locals like to call it a village.

If there is no street lighting, or only the one main road has some lighting, or the only lamp is the one opposite the village hall, you are in a village. Even if the locals call it a town. Here is Lower Town Farm on the right and Lower Town Cottage on the left:

 https://goo.gl/maps/aboB22cC6Pr

:)

Martin.