My two pennyworth, FWIW…

The problem here is that it is very subjective. If you have a lot of small
villages around a much larger place, the temptation may be to call that your
local town - and this may be a reason why Wickham Market is called a town. Here
in Southend-on-sea, we have around 270,000 inhabitants. We are definitely a
town, not a city (despite many smaller places being cities - itself another
thorny definition which I do NOT propose to get into). Yet older folk
(including me, not that I am hideously old) still talk about going up to town
when we mean going to London. Has London ever been a town? Not in any real
sense, but it would be daft to use that “local usage” as an excuse to call
London a town rather than a city.

We also attract mappers from outside of the UK. There are very real and genuine
reasons why we have certain features mapped in certain ways, but to rummage
around in the depths of British history to determine the charter status of
towns, or explain the vagaries of the British governmental / administrative
boundaries (historic counties, anyone?) just confuses everyone and makes
mapping significantly more complicated than it needs to be.

I would support a simple, objective definition, based on population size.

Stuart

PS - Milton Keynes is, at one level, a village. It is one of the original
villages that got swept up into the “New Town”, and is now just one of the many
parts of Milton-Keynes-the-town. You can see it at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/462753393.