On 17/11/2018 17:26, Colin Smale wrote:
Surely the infrastructure network is a different concept to the train network?
The UK overland railway network is managed and owned by network rail.

How about this for a thought:

For the trains, a network might be linked to a brand; An operator may have distinct branding for commuter services, intercity services and freight operations giving three different "networks." All the services within a network will be integrated in terms of scheduling and other planning, whereas coordination with other networks is a whole different can of worms. If there is just one big team doing the planning, then it's one network. If the planning is done reasonably autonomously, then they are different networks.
All investment in the overland rail structure is via Network Rail

Is "London Overground" a separate "network" to the Underground? Is the DLR a separate network? Instinctively I would say yes to both of these, from both a train service point of view and from an infrastructure point of view. Pleased to hear arguments to the contrary though.

There are other networks such as the such as Midland Metro, Dockland Light Railway and London Underground as well as other metro/tram networks. These tend to be owned and run by local transport authorities. Transport for West Midlands for Midlands Metro and TFL Transport for London for DLR and London Underground. These manage both the rolling stock and the tracks while Network Rail does not actually own any rolling stock - as far as I am aware - except perhaps for maintenance vehicles, although I would not be surprised if the maintenance companies owned them!

So DLT has a network=Transport for London and an operator=Transport for London ... in my book. The other metro lines are similarly owned and operated.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL