On 06/01/2019 16:44, Martin Wynne wrote:
For example I have just been updating a local ford well-known to me, over the River Rea at Neen Savage:

 https://goo.gl/maps/NetZQD1UVfE2

That section of the river is mapped as an area, so I have added an area of it as landuse=ford where it is also an area of road.

The ford is only the highway across the river. That's mapped correctly as a way with a ford=yes tag:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/660938519

I'd delete your area & the ford=yes node. I'd also add a weir tag to the downstream side to indicate the sudden drop in water level.

I have been mapping local waterways as areas, where both banks are shown as such on OS OpenData. It is a tedious process because river banks are usually so wiggly. So I do a bit at a time as my time permits.

To your natural=water I'd add the complimentary tag water=river to make it easier for data consumers to find just rivers. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water gives a variety of options.

DaveF