On 14/02/19 03:42, Ed Loach wrote:
Paul wrote:

Jerry,

No worries. I think I'll still pop down for a survey anyway because I now want
try the GPS + car trick and see how it turns out. We'll compare changesets
later :)
Much of Clacton was originally mapped using that method, when there was no
imagery covering the area.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/EdLoach/traces/page/79
When imagery and OS opendata became available it was usually pretty close. I
was using (and still use) a Locosys GT-31.

I have seen areas where the uploaded traces and the OSM roads seem to follow
the pavement in the imagery and suspect it was mapped by a walker who hadn't
adjusted for not walking down the middle of the road (I'm not talking a
constant offset here as it depended which side of the roads they were walking).

Same applies for car traces. Best to average multiple trips in both directions.

Accuracy will depend on the receiver and signal reception.

Yep. Multiple trips can help with everything but reception problems caused by
local obstructions (buildings, cliffs etc.