You are indeed right. Tagging for ground-based solar farms is varied. I am
currently collecting them at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Renewable_energy_in_the_United_Kingdom#List_of_under_construction_and_operational_UK_Ground_Mounted_Solar_Farms
without
reforming the tagging and building up a tagging scheme in the process.

Use of a relation echoes that of a wind farm, which is a special case
object made up of individual nodes (turbines), ways (substation), and lines
(access tracks). The gaps in-between turbines are not physically part of
the wind farm. A solar farm relation could be replaced with a boundary
fence if one exists, with the blocks of panels as generators and the
overall relation/boundary as power:plant.

or you could be as detailed as our German colleagues.....
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.5746&mlon=13.7358#map=15/51.5678/13.7384