What is a "residential area" in the iD editor? How many dwellings are needed in what proximity to become one? Is it a physical plot of land on which at least one person lives? Or the usual meaning of a village/hamlet/housing estate/suburb where a number of people live?

In my patch there are lots of instances where a single house or an isolated pair of cottages along a country road have been mapped as a "residential area". Which seems a strange use of words to me.

See for example:

 https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/611028880

Google streetview:

 https://goo.gl/maps/yk1SNzrmRPpvZL3Y6

Perhaps it's the iD editor at fault? landuse=residential is strictly correct, but calling it a "residential area" doesn't accord with most folks understanding of the term.

I tend to change them to leisure=garden, access=private. When I do that, the iD editor removes the landuse=residential tag. Should it? Should I put it back? I also put a fence or hedge or wall around or between them if visible on Bing, add the buildings, and a name if it's known to me or shown on OS OpenData.

But is that the correct thing to do? If I do one, am I obliged to do all the others nearby? Users of OSM might legitimately wonder why some properties and residents are singled out for this treatment, and others are not? Should we concentrate on adding detail, or aim for uniformity of treatment?

cheers,

Martin.