On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 3:38 PM Peter Neale <neal...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Thank you for trying to help me, but I am still confused (I'm getting used
> to that feeling!)
>
> Clearly I am missing something??

In your second screenshot, on the right hand toolbar, the icon ("Map Data")
underneath the "Background settings" one which you have selected. It will
open the Data panel (also shortcut F) which has "Data Layers" that can be
enabled - one of them is Notes.

I should clarify that until you hit "Edit" on the OSM website you're not
actually in the iD editor. The layers available before entering the editor
are part of the website itself, which is maintained by separately.