Hi Guys

I imported NaPTAN data for my local area (Chorley) some months ago. Took the data for Lancashire and filtered on Town:Chorley. Some of the stops were excluded because the data had not been correctly input by reason of no entry, misspelt, wrong town entered.

Using the JOSM:Conflate tool enabled me to identify existing stops and merge/manipulate the data - hard work with some mistakes which I am now correcting by field survey - I know the area well so I tend to be able to spot errors. Conflate allows the setting of distance to match nodes - I started at 10 meters to get the close matches then 50 metres, several iteration through the data.

I would encourage you to add the fields naptan:ATCOCode & naptan:NaptanCode as they are useful references when using timetable software - all my local bus stops include NaptanCode for text alerts for buses.

Bus stop types - most are MKD which I think translates as marked on the ground, but CUS are the Custom and practice stops which Stuart refers. As they are not physical should they be in OSM ? Answering my own question - I think so because it is additional data and very useful for map users, but I would now put in the BusStopType field. Similar for HAR hail and ride.

Have a look at putting nodes in - helps to complete the map.

I found Latitude and Longitude locations to be accurate within 10 yards or so, more accurate than the previously entered bus stops - I surveyed / used Mapillary to confirm.

Be critical about the data and your process - it helps accuracy but don't be afraid.

Good mapping

Regards

Tony Shield (TonyS999)