Hi Jerry

On 06/02/2020 10:19, SK53 wrote:
Funnily enough this long-standing issue came up at our pub meeting last
month. Although my reaction has always been to let sleeping dogs lie, this
was clearly not the consensus.

It's detrimental to the quality of the OSM database. it requires sorting out.

I've sent a message to University of Cambridge Information Services who run
the map.cam.ac.uk site which consumes the OSM data

Is this their sole use? There was a hint in a university blog there were other sites

, to warn them that a
change is impending. It's probably worth holding off for a week or so to
allow them to assess any impact on their map.

I was going to give it a week from my post to allow other OSM contributors to have their say. I don't want this to fizzle out as has happened on previous occasions. OSM is not beholden to data consumers. They take the data 'as is'. That includes any amendments.

My planned amendment can always be reversed if there is a valid reason.  Upsetting CU isn't one.

  Incidentally, knowing a
specific contact point would help as university IT departments can be big
beasts these days. It does show that having a good contact point is always
a good idea for directed edits when data is in use.

It depends how the institution is set up, but I've found bursar/estates departments are the more interested in the map's appearance. IT departments focus more on 0 & 1s.

As others have said there is a lot of inconsistency: particular with former
houses taken into University or College ownership which sometimes get
building=house/semi and other times building=university. There are other
college buildings of this type which are not hit by amenity=university at
all.

These are to assess what would bel eft after I make my planned amendment.
Note these are not all CU (ie Anglia Ruskin)

Buildings=yes, without amenity but have 'university' in the operator tag:
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/QsU

Buildings that aren't '=yes', without amenity but have 'university' in the operator tag:
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/QsT

Non building, amenity=university, Has 'University of Cambridge' in the operator tag
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Qt3

Non building, amenity=university, operator is not 'University of Cambridge'
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Qt1

Non building, amenity=university, No operator tag
https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Qt4

Other general points I noticed relating to  inconsistency/issues (largely
arising because Cambridge got mapped earlier than many places or it just
has a lot of things which are otherwise rare):

    - Theological Colleges are loosely associated with the university, and
    are equally loosely amenity=university in their own right. I don't know if
    we have a regular way of tagging non-degree awarding religious training
    centres. These are something of an Oxbridge speciality. I see the London
    Institute of Theology is tagged
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/524375396> as a college. Years ago I
    mapped Coleg Trefecca as a conference centre, but used old_ tags to
    indicate it's historical role as a college training people for the
    ministry. Fortunately some of the odder places
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/53.18591/-3.02706> of former
    times have similarly changed their roles.
    - Sports facilities (especially isolated playing fields and boathouses)
    are just tagged with a ref and operator. Pavilions are often tagged
    building=university, as is the sports centre.
    - Cambridge colleges are independent corporations in their own right, so
    probably should have separate amenity=university relations (although the
    world is unlikely to end if not).

They maybe financially independent, but still stand under the umbrella of CU. Why can't they have separate college or faculty relations?

  They mostly form discrete campuses.
    Isolated parts are named separately so just replacing these with a relation
    doesn't work. North Court, Emma is one such example. There are similarly
    very well known parts of the university with their own widely used names:
    Downing Site, New Museums, West Cambridge etc. This is true of most
    universities now that many are multi-campus. I don't think we have a good
    approach to these: roles in relations, campus_name … are all possibilities.
    (This also applies to schools now that one academy can take over another).
    - There's plenty of (non-public accessible) student accommodation which
    is not mapped as such. I presume this is intentional. Examples the Trinity
    staircase above the bike shop on Jesus Lane, most of Lower Park St (Jesus),
    and Portugal Place,
    -  Multiple buildings mapped as one
    <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/147487988>. There are probably
    others, but this one I know. The larger part of the building is the
former Cambridgeshire
    County Hall

<https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101265198-county-hall-cambridge#.Xjr8Fm52u01>,
    built around 1910 and Grade II listed, the S part is a 17th century house

<https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101332167-christs-college-x-staircase-cambridge-market-ward#.Xjr7yG52u00>
    (formerly 'X' staircase), also Grade II. The two buildings form a single
    unit of student accommodation which presumably reflects the mapping.

Cheers,

Jerry

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 15:15, Dave F via Talk-GB <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>