Hi,

I'm a bit cautious about using highway=no for rights of way. I understand
it where a definitive route is utterly impassible on the ground (eg. goes
through a building) but elsewhere it seems to be suggested as a bit of a
fudge to avoid having one right of way represented by two highways in OSM.
I find that problematic for several reasons:

- Most data consumers won't be expecting this highly country-specific
tagging of highway=no so it's likely that end users will be using mapping
products which lead them along informal shortcuts and diversions whilst
completely omitting the actual line of the right of way.

- We're tagging ways based on the presence of an alternative rather than
the qualities of the way itself. For example, if a definitive path has no
physical presence along its whole length but the original mapper has
deviated from the definitive line for a short portion in the middle of the
path's length, the definitive line would go from being tagged as a highway
to being tagged as highway=no and back again despite no change in its
appearance or accessibility, just the existence of an alternative route.

- It means using highway=no to represent the legally-defined route of a
highway which the public have a right to use just seems a little bizarre to
me.

In any case highway=no seems a particularly problematic thing to map
remotely without actually being on the ground. We can't simply assume the
non-existence of one route based upon the existence of an alternative.
That one GPS-carrying osm mapper took one line across a moor which differs
slightly from the definitive route doesn't mean we can say that the
definitive line is any less legitimate. The fact that a mapper mapped a
route round a field or farmyard doesn't mean that others don't follow the
official line though it.

Kind regards,

Adam