On 21/07/2020 21:54, Mark Goodge wrote:

On 21/07/2020 21:27, ael wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:30:25PM +0100, Mark Goodge wrote:

On 21/07/2020 16:57, Kai Michael Poppe - OSM wrote:
Is the National Chargepoint Registry data open for OSM now? If not
somebody should write a nice enough letter?

It is open, it's OGL now. But it's not reliable enough for an unfiltered
bulk import; there are duplicate entries, incorrect coordinates and
incorrect or missing addresses.

And missing entries. Two charge points that I have mapped do not appear,
at least with a post-code search.

Yes; it's a good start, but by comparison with other (non-open) sources, it appears to have only around 80% of the total included. Although missing entries are less of a problem for a data import than erroneous entries, because gaps can be filled in manually. It's the errors which are more of a problem, because it's generally better not to map something than to map it wrongly.

The 'About' section says it is a register of publicly funded charge points. In the list for my local area they are all privately owned & run charge points and the council-funded ones are all missing. The private ones may have received some public funding but the council ones certainly have.

The addressing is poor, 'North Humberside' is used - Humberside was abolished in 1996!

It lists all the points as 'in service', but I know one it has in service is out of service, has been for while and is probably going to be replaced rather than repaired, so that data is suspect. Another shown as in service is not a public charging point, it is a 'Customers only' point for Nissan customers, yet a similar Hyundai customers only site is not in the list at all.

There are links to an overlay on OSM, but the locations are pretty poorly positioned, so bad they could almost be Google Maps business locations from a few of years ago.

I think the best we could do with this is use it as a list of places to survey - it doesn't look good enough to import to me.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)