Jul 20, 2020, 12:29 by n...@foresters.org:

> Dear all
>
> I have been mapping a few properties using Bing maps with local knowledge
> supplemented by some physical measuring (tape measure or simply pacing). I
> now want to ramp up my mapping but the challenge especially in rural areas is
> that sometimes the outline of a building is not clear - either obscured (e.g.
> trees) or unclear (e.g. decking or car ports). Also some aerial imagery is
> offset. Also, most of the properties are not along public roads. So my
> question is what are the preferred methods for surveying that others are
> using?

Nobody replied so far so...

I am not worried too much about geometry offset, especially in rural areas where
moving building to fix offset is usually not problematic.

> Supplementary question, do you include or exclude conservatories, car ports
> etc. from the main structure of the property?

It depends. I usually include them in case of armchair mapping of aerial images
(unless there is
a visible gap). In mapping during survey it depends whatever car port is part
of a building structure
or a separate structure standing next to house.

> I guess at the back of my mind is what do people perceive as the purpose of
> mapping (hope I have not opened a can of worms).

In my case I map what is useful for projects that I use/like or is very simple
to map
(=available as StreetComplete quest).

So right now I map parking lanes for https://github.com/dabreegster/abstreet
and in rural areas I tend to map hiking routes rather than buildings.