On 23/07/2020 10:55, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-GB wrote:

> Jul 23, 2020, 11:49 by for...@david-woolley.me.uk:
>
>     On 23/07/2020 10:12, Nick wrote:
>
>         Do we actually know what the general public use OSM for?
>

>     My impression is that the target for a lot of the material in OSM is
>     professional users of maps, rather than the general public.
>
> I would say that most of use by general public is indirect - from location
> maps in a bus, through maps on mapy.cz/Osmand/FB/Snapchat/Uber/Maps.me
> to indirectly benefiting from use of OSM data in various
> plans/analysis/scientific research.

I though Uber used Google, which would explain a couple of comical
misdirections to somewhere near-ish to my destination, which I could
replicate later on in Google.

> I would say that direct use by general public is going to be fairly
> rare, though still
> happening, like with nearly all resources.

There's also a lot of indirect use by the public in route planning sites
and apps, particularly for cyclists, e.g. Komoot, CycleStreets and
cycle.travel

It's also fairly heavily used by sport and activity tracking apps like
Strava and Training Peaks (both via Mapbox), VeloViewer, etc.

--
Robert Skedgell (rskedgell)