Hi all-

Jumping on this thread.

I think it's worth to first distinguish between tagging (attribution -
attributes and values) and rendering.

Concerning the tagging aspect of the discussion how to describe a waterway
used for motorized traffic.
I think we have to consider a two ways approach: (i) waterway and (ii)
highway to avoid mixing attributes relating to different thematic objects.

Waterways allowing for motorized traffic clearly refer to non perenial
rivers/ streams and wadi can be a generic term on which to forge a tag, but
among other ones. Ideal if a quick inventory of key values used in this
realm in established data model could be useful to complete the set of osm
tags showing in the MapFeatures which is not taking care of this aspect of
hydrogology.
I would not tend to include in waterways descriptors relating to ground/
surface motorized traffic.

Ground/ surface motorized traffic in river beds of non perenial water bodies
should be handled to my mind at the highway level
Highway=ford (in map feature) is well suited for this.
This tag can be completed easily with the highway practicability tag values
(highway_practicability=*) as described in the Humanitarian Data Model
(HDM)- Highways/
roads<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model#Highway.2F_Road>
I also think that a tag about seasonality could complement this
(highway:seasonality=yes/no).
Both practicability and Seasonality are attributes relating to ground/
surrface - road transportation traffic in the UN Spatial Data Infrastructure
for
Transport<http://www.unjlc.org/tools/UNSDI-T/UNSDIT_v2.0_Comprehensive_Structure_HTML.html>a
strong established humanitarian data model used in humanitarian
logistics
Note that the ford value can also be used as a crossing point see  HDM -
Obstacles<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/Humanitarian_Data_Model#Obstacle>
.

I hope this helps
Happy to further discuss with you all
Best

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Hans van Wijk <hvw...@wxs.nl> wrote:

> John wrote:
> > I am not proposing having two ways in the same space anymore
> > as I see the logic presented but a new type of (single) way
> > that would have attributes for both.
> >
> >  Perhaps for the stretch where they join, could there be a
> > combined  'road/stream' type of way that could provide
> > continuity for both?
>
> Yes it should be something like that.
>
> >  The designation would actually switch seasonally.
>
> The renderers should take the seasonal habbits of the location into
> account,
> but having a set of country specific properties for renderers is a whole
> other discussion, which, I believe, is held on many occasions before.
>
> > > From: "Hans van Wijk" Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:24 PM
> > > We could benefit from some tag that identifies a river that
> > dries out
> > > during dry season and I believe 'wadi' is a good candidate. I saw a
> > > 'wadibank'
> > > already somewhere, which also makes for a good waterway
> > value when it
> > > concerns a closed way. See also wiki:
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi

> > place (or with
> > entrance
> > > seasonal.

> > streambed for a
> > >

> > > Sure this makes for a solution, but I can't shake the feeling that
> > > it's wrong as long as they aren't two separate ways.

Nicolas Chavent
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti
Mobile (FRA): +33 6 75 14 29 70