Hi Brian,

How about something like this http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/eM9. Includes
highways, boundaries=administrative and place=town. Query is about 10MB.
You might want to adjust the timeout in [out:json][timeout:25]; if you're
going for an area larger than this.. not sure what the data limit is on
overpass turbo..?

Sounds like you might have tried this query already but my tuppence worth
anyway..

cheers,

Brian