Daniel,

Fair play on the work so far.

It would be a good idea to review the import guidelines page before
proceeding with any import to prevent errors or incurring the wrath of the
DWG.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines

I'd also be hesitant to remove pre-existing data if it's not incorrect. Is
there a reason you want to do this? Sorry, just trying to understand.

It might be a case, for this type of data, that a layer be created that can
be used in josm/id to manually add the info.

Also, just to note, in terms of licensing, the ok hasn't been given yet for
CC-BY 4.0 data in OSM, which is what all Irish open data is licensed under.
I mentioned this in an earlier mail so it's something to be aware of. I'll
follow up again and see if there has been a response from Creative Commons.
I had hoped to have this resolved before people found data to import but
you work faster ;)

Dave