Using a phone, sorry for the short answer to a detailed mail.

Puting boundary-related tags on the ways is redundant (duplicates the relation
tags), risks getting out of sync with the relation, handles ways belonging to
multiple boundaries (always the case for countey borders) badly, and can be
confusing (josm boundary rendering of the way can mask other renderings). I
often remove such tags from ways if I'm editing the ways.

AFAIK we've got all of Ireland boundaries (over 60k of them) mapped as
relations. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case worldwide, do you have
counter-examples ? I suggest that you forget that mapping boundaries purely as
ways is a thing, and that if do any data fixing, it's to add missing relations
rather than tagging theirs ways.
--
Vdp
Sent from a phone.